A baby can be restless for a number of reasons such as emotional distress, stomach or digestive complaints, food intolerances or disrupted sleep cycles. Addressing these factors will help to ensure a more settled baby and a happier family life.
Please make an appointment with a Healthcare practitioner regarding infantile sleep problems. If you are currently breastfeeding a Naturopath may recommend some herbs or nutritional supplements which you can take that will be passed through your breastmilk to promote a better sleep routine for your baby.
NUTRIENTS TO IMPROVE SLEEP
- Magnesium – this mineral encourages the nervous system to relax and promotes the synthesis of sleep hormones
- Calcium deficiency – this mineral is required by the nervous system
- Melatonin – a hormone needed by the pineal gland to produce sleep hormones and program the pattern of sleep.
- Iron – sleeping problems may be exacerbated by an Iron mineral deficiency
BREASTFEEDING NUTRIENTS AND INFANT SLEEPING
The following are some other recommendations which you can do if you are currently breastfeeing:
- Reduce any stimulants from your diet particularly caffeine (tea or coffee and chocolate). Remember that energy drinks are also full of caffeine too which can make an infant overstimulated and unable to settle.
- Reduce sugar intake
- Try to avoid drinking any stimulants after 4pm as these may keep the nervous system fired up and many stimulants are able to pass through the breastmilk
LIFESTYLE FACTORS FOR INFANT SLEEPING
- Manage stress and try to keep calm. A baby can feed off the energy of their mother so the calmer you stay the more relaxed your baby is
NATURAL REMEDIES TO IMPROVE AN INFANTS SLEEP
- Herbs to support your nervous system and give it more integrity such as Withania, St Johns Wort, Chamomile, Siberian Ginseng, Daimiana or B Vitmains
- Use calming essential oils in the bathwater such as Chamomile and Lavender. These may help to promote relaxation of the nervous system and induce a calm sleep
- The childrens range from Brauer Homeopathics may help to improve quality of sleep and break bad sleep habits by settling the nervous system. The Brauer Infant Calm may be of benefit or other Homeopathics such as Chamomilla