Croup is an acute infection of the upper respiratory tract most commonly affecting infants and children. It is an infection caused by a virus which affects the windpipe (larynx), throat (trachea) and bronchi. This condition causes a barking cough, difficult and noisy respiration, spasms, fever, hoarseness and a feeling of suffocation. Croup is almost always preceded by an allergic reaction, bronchitis or the common cold.
DIET TIPS FOR HEALTHY IMMUNITY
- Ensure adequate hydration to help loosen the excessive mucus produced in the throat area
- Eat plenty of garlic, ginger and onions. The sulphur contained in these vegetables help to reduce the severity of upper respiratory tract infections and improve the ability to fight off an infection.
- If you are currently breast feeding drinking herbal teas is a good way to help improve a babies immunity, alternatively you can add a small amount of cooled herbal teas to their drinking water. The following are some herbal teas which you can combine – fenugreek, rosehip, ginger, chamomile, peppermint, elderflowers and licorice
- Reduce the amount of dairy foods in the diet as it is mucus forming
- Concentrate on an alkaline diet and decrease acid forming foods. Try to lighten the load on your digestion and concentrate on easy to digest foods such as soups, vegetable juices, warm lemon juice drinks, vegetable broths and plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables
LIFESTYLE FACTORS FOR HEALTHY IMMUNITY
- Onions (cooked, mashed and applied as a poultice to the chest and back three times per day) may help to alleviate the congestion of the respiratory system
- Sunlight, fresh air and exercise
- Address any underlying immune weaknesses, allergies, inflammation and infections
NATURAL THERAPIES FOR HEALTHY IMMUNITY
- Cod liver oil is high in Vitamins A & D to help improve immunity, reduce inflammation and help the mucus membranes to heal
- Liquid Zinc and powdered Vitamin C added to juice or water can help to ensure immunity and improve resistance
- Throat lozenges which contain herbs and nutrients such as Vitamin C, Zinc, Echinacea, Eucalyptus and Thyme oil are beneficial for upper respiratory infections.
- The following herbs may be of assistance to reduce respiratory inflammation and promote immunity, healing and antiviral effects: Olive leaf extract, Echinacea, Thyme, Sage, Forsythia, Golden Seal, Andrographis, Licorice, Marshmallow and Fenugreek
- Add Eucalyptus oil to a vapouriser to help reduce the infection and provide decongestive effects to ease the cough.
- Probiotics are recommended during immune illnesses to ensure that the body is supplied with beneficial bacteria to fight off immune pathogens and improve recovery. Take the probiotic yourself and rub a small amount on your nipple before breast feeding or add a small amount to juice or water