The common cold is caused by any of over 200 virus which affect the respiratory tract and cause congestion and acute inflammation of the mucus membranes. This condition can last from several days to two weeks and results when using natural therapies are best seen when they are addressed as quickly as possible.
DIET TIPS FOR THE COMMON COLD
- The best way to ensure your infant has the best chance of building a strong immune system is to ensure rest and ensure the child is adequately hydrated with plenty of fluids such as warm water with a squeeze of lemon juice
- If the child is eating small quantities of food try making a vegetable and organic chicken broth and feeding them the nutrient and mineral rich broth. This has an alkalising effect and will build the blood and warm the immunity. Increase alkalising foods in their diet such as brown rice, plenty of fruits and vegetables and miso soup
- Children with mucus congestion may benefit by reducing mucus producing foods such as dairy, wheat and sugar
LIFESTYLE FACTORS FOR THE COMMON COLD
- Put an inhaler in their room at night if they are having trouble breathing due to congestion and put a few drops of essential oils into the water blend such as Eucalyptus, Lavender, Pine, Thyme and Orange
- Keep warm and stay out of cold, damp and windy environments
NATURAL REMEDIES FOR THE COMMON COLD
- Probiotics may help to ensure a healthy level of digestive, gut and immune bacteria
- Vitamin C and Zinc powder are beneficial for boosting immunity
- Infants respond very well to Homeopathic remedies when afflicted with acute conditions such as a cold. Some remedies which are often prescribed are Pulsatilla, Drosera, Kali Bich, Belladonna or Graphites. Please speak to a Homeopathic practitioner concerning remedy selection for your child.
- Cod liver oil is high in Vitamins A & D which are beneficial in improving childrens immunity, reducing inflammation and congestion
If you are breast feeding a baby then many healing agents can be transferred through the breast milk. Some foods and natural medicines for the mother to take are:
- Manuka honey – a natural antibiotic.
- Cod liver oil capsules – high in Vitamins A & D to soothe mucus membranes, decrease inflammation and support the immune system.
- Take a Zinc and Vitamin C supplement to ensure that the immune system is supported as a deficiency in these two nutrients can mean that the infection reoccurs or that the symptoms are experienced over a longer period of time.