WHAT IS ROACUTANE USED FOR?
ROACUTANE (Isotretinoin) is a pharmaceutical medication derived from Vitamin A and is reserved for use in severe cases of acne and treatment is up to 4-5 months. Results are seen in many individuals, however when discontinued the problem can be exacerbated. Roacutane acts by suppressing the production of sebum in the the glands of the skin and decreases gland size.
WHAT CAUSES ACNE?
- Acne is usually caused due to blockage of the glands by the sebum. This causes blackheads and the bacteria trapped underneath causes inflammation and pus formation
- maldigestion and leaky gut
- decreased liver function
- excessive consumption of dietary fats (transfatty acids)
- hormonal imbalances (low progesterone in women)
- hypochlorhydria (low digestive acids)
DIET TIPS FOR REDUCING SIDE EFFECTS OF ROACUTANE
- Begin each day with a small glass of warm water with 1/2 lemon squeezed into it. Lemon is a blood alkaliser and it also increases waste removal via the bowels as well as encouraging liver and digestive processes for the day
- Ensure adequate hydration (at least 2 litres of water per day). There is a wonderful saying used by many Naturopaths to explain the importance of water as a cleanser, The solution to pollution is dilution
- Increase alkalising foods in your diet and foods which encourage liver health such as water, lemon juice, green barley powder, herbal teas, grains, nuts and seeds, fish, plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Decrease foods which cause acidity, inflammation and congestion such as dairy, wheat, sugar, alcohol, tea, coffee, soft drinks, preserved and processed foods
- Have a vegetable juice each day as these are cleansing to the liver and help to reduce acidity and are also blood cleansers
- Increase the amount of essential fatty acids in your diet by increasing your intake of fish, flaxseed oil, evening primrose oil, nuts and seeds and avocados
LIFESTYLE FACTORS FOR REDUCING SIDE EFFECTS OF ROCUTANE
- Address liver and bowel congestion
- Balance hormones
- Support channels of elimination – bowel, kidneys and liver
NATURAL REMEDIES TO HELP REDUCE SIDE EFFECTS OF ROACUTANE
- Herbs which have a blood cleansing and a hepatoprotective (liver protective) effect, some herbs which may be of benefit are Milk Thistle, Burdock, Chicory, Yellow Dock, Golden Seal, Bupleurum, Dandelion, Schizandra, Rhubarb and Rehmannia
- Increase your anti-oxidant status with nutrients such as a Zinc, Vitamin C, Bioflavinoid and Selenium supplement (not containing Vitamin A if you are taking Roacutane)
- Probiotics may help to encourage healthy bowel flora as constipation leads to dirty blood, congestion and skin inflammation
- Fish oil has potent anti-inflammatory effects and also moisturises and corrects skin oiliness and imbalances.
- Zinc is helpful to reduce inflammation and improve wound healing. Other nutrients specifically for the health of the skin are Vitamin C, B Vitamins and Betacarotene
Share the post "Acne & Roacutane"