Organic food is a rapidly growing industry and this is probably because the quality of organic produce is consistently so good. Not only does it often taste really good but there is also the reassurance that it is produced following standards that aim to reduce contamination from pesticides, genetically modified organisms and potentially harmful fertilisers. We are bombarded by pollutants daily from exhaust fumes from cars and other industries, synthetic products we use on our bodies and our own houses which are chemical melting pots.
So why do we actively choose to add more chemicals to our already bombarded bodies. Organic food is nutritionally rich and is produced in a way that aims to reduce harmful environmental impact as much as possible. Organic livestock is raised with particular emphasis on reducing suffering to the animal and the livestock is fed chemical and hormone free feed. It is a personal choice whether these aspects are important to you. If they are then organic food is the way to go and your body will love you for it. If you are interested in further research on this topic I suggest that you take a look at the Biological Farmers of Australia Co-Op www.bfa.com.au
Another option is to find out where your local growers market is. All the foods there may not be organic, but there are many positive aspects to buying locally produced produce such as reduced transport expenses both financially and environmentally. Buying local seasonal produce is often of greater quality because it is so fresh.
Whilein Melbourne we came across the Organic Food and Wine Cafe. It was agroovy little cafe in a laneway in the heart of the city. On the wallby the entrance was a list that caught my eye.
The ten reasons why Organic food is best.
1. Organicproduce is not covered in a cocktail of poisonous chemicals. Theaverage conventionally grown apple has 20 artificial poisons on itsskin, even after rinsing.
2. Fresh organic produce contains on average 60% more vitamins, minerals,enzymes and other micro nutrients than intensively fermed produce.
3. Going organic is the only practical way to avoid eating geneticallymodified (GM) food. And by buying organic food, you are registeringyour mistrust of GMO’s and doing your bit to protest against them.
4. If you eat dairy or meat products going organic has never been moreessential to safeguard you and your family’s health. Intensively-reared dairy cows and farm animals are fed a dangerous cocktail of anti-biotics, growth promoting drugs and parasite drugs and many other medicines on a daily basis, whether they have an illness or not. These drugs are passed directly onto the consumers of their dairy produce or meat.
5. About99% of non-organic farm animals in the UK are fed GM soya. And thee hasnever been a reported case of BSE in organic cattle in the UK.
6. Organic produce simply tastes so much better. Fruit and vegetables fullof juice and flavour, and so many different varieties to try! There areabout 100 different varieties of organic potatoes available!
7. Organic farms support and nurture our beautiful and diverse wildlife.Over the last thirty years, intensive farming has led to dramaticerosion of the soil, a fall of up to 70% of wild birds in some areas,the destruction of ancient hedgerows, and the near extinction of someof the most beautiful species of butterflies, frogs, grass-snakes andwild animals.
8. Organicfood is not really more expensive than intensively farmed foods, as wepay for conventional foods through our taxes. We spend billions ofdollars every year cleaning up the mess that agro-chemicals make to ournatural water supply.
9. Intensive farming can seriously damage workers health. There are muchhigher incidences of cancer, respiratory problems and other majordiseases in farm workers from non-organic farms. This is particularlytrue in developing countries, and for agrochemical farms growing cotton.
10. And if you simply like the idea of your children and grandchildrenbeing able to visit the countryside and play in the forest and fieldsjust like we did when we were young, go organic for the sake of all ourfutures.