Gingivitis (bleeding gums, periodontal disease) is an inflammation of the gums (or the underlying bones) caused by oral bacteria. This infection results in the formation of plaques which is a combination of bacteria and food wastes. A build up of this plaque can progress to a more serious condition known as periodontitis which can cause pain and loosening of the teeth.
CONDITIONS RELATED TO PERIDONTAL DISEASE:
Some people experience bleeding gums when using Aspirin or other blood thinning medications. It may also be a sign of more serious blood disorders. Other contributing factors include poor dental fillings or crowns, missing teeth, malocclusion, teeth grinding, overzealous brushing and smoking.
DIET TIPS TO REDUCE GINGIVITIS
- Increase foods rich in flavonoids such as – cherries, berries, ginger, chilli, garlic, green leafy vegetables, whole grains, tofu, fish, nuts, seeds, and fresh vegetable juices etc
- Avoid all sugar and refined carbohydrates
LIFESTYLE FACTORS FOR GINGIVITIS
- Good oral hygiene is important in preventing and treating gingivitis
- Frequent teeth cleaning and examination (and removal of plaque) by your dentist is very important. Brush after every meal and floss daily
- It is also necessary to improve nutrition and immune function to prevent progression of the disorder
- Increasing your immune system should encourage healing of the collagen tissue and reduce inflammation
- Avoid smoking
NATURAL REMEDIES FOR GINGIVITIS
- The mineral Zinc is important for immune function and healing
- Vitamin C helps the immune system, strengthens blood capillaries and prevents bleeding
- Co Enzyme Q10 is beneficial for peridontal health as it is a circulatory stimulant, anti inflammatory and assists in the healthy environment of gums by reducing the negative bacteria which is associated with gum diseases
Share the post "Gingivitis"