Tremors are a neuromuscular ailment that involves involuntary, rhythmic, oscillatory movements of muscles caused by irregular contractions of opposing groups of muscles. Some common symptoms are uncontrollable shaking, morning tremor, head nodding up and down, head shaking from side to side, hand tremor, body tremor, jaw tremor or even thumb tremor.
BENIGN ESSENTIAL TREMORS
Benign essential tremor, also known as familial tremor or hereditary tremor is a progressive neurological condition that causes a rhythmic trembling of the hands, head, voice, legs or trunk. As with Katherine Hepburn many people mistake this condition with Parkinson’s disease (tremor is a primary symptom of Parkinson’s Disease). Other types of tremors are progressive disorders which need to be addressed with the appropriate medical and nutritional supplements in the hope of decreasing further degradation. Some other causes of tremors are cardiovascular stroke, head injuries, multiple sclerosis, stress, overactive thyroid, Magnesium or B Vitamin deficiency.
Naturopaths treat patients holistically and your grandmothers symptoms of tremors would be taken into account with any other signs and symptoms throughout the whole body. Other aspects of a patients life are also considered such as diet, medical history, family history, environment and lifestyle. It is advisable to have a face to face consultation with a Naturopath in order to establish a clearer picture of your mothers overall individual condition.
POSSIBLE CAUSES OF TREMORS
- Excessive consumption of stimulants such as caffeine, alcohol (detoxification), nicotine, amphetamines and corticosteroids.
- Exposure to mercury or heavy metal toxicity.
- Side effects of pharmaceutical medications.
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Thyroid issues
- Nervous system disorders
- Excessive consumption of artificial sweeteners such as Aspartame
DIET TIPS FOR NERVOUS SYSTEM HEALTH
- Reduce consumption of caffeine based products
- Avoid using artificial sweeteners
LIFESTYLE TIPS FOR NERVOUS SYSTEM HEALTH
- Avoid stimulants such as caffeine and nicotine
- Treat underlying nervous system tension
- Address thyroid problems
NATURAL REMEDIES FOR NERVOUS SYSTEM HEALTH
- The Amino Acid Isoleucine – a component of proteins, reduces excitation of nerve fibres
- Magnesium – improves neuromuscular transmission of signals across the nerve synapses to reduce excessive muscular contraction
- CoQ10 – antioxidant, provides lipids to help protect the myelin sheath (electrical conduction), electrical potentiation of nerve signals
- Alpha-lipoic acid – improves synthesis of energy within the muscles, antioxidant, reduces neural damage
- Lecithin – protects the nerve sheaths from degradation and helps electroconductivity of the nerves Fish oil – improves cell to tissue communication due to Docosahexanoic acid (DHA) content, maintenance of cellular membrane structure and fluidity, decreases inflammation
- Homeopathics – Magnesium Phosphate, Stramonium, Potassium Phospate, Passiflora, Chamomilla or Silica. These Homeopathic remedies may help to relieve nerve tension, however please speak to a Homeopath regarding a specific remedy.
- Herbal medicines that may assist to support the nervous system and adrenals are Oats, magnolia, chamomile, passionflower, siberian ginseng, chamomile, licorice, sacred basil, withania, alfalfa, lavender, lemon balm and zyziphus. Speak to a Healthcare professional in regards to herbal supplementation. A consultation with a Naturopath may help as they can tailor make a regime to suit your needs, work with medical practitioners, refine the supplement regime, monitor progress and provide ongoing support and advice.