A healthy pH reading on a spit test is 7.4 (blue), a pH reading of anything below 7 means that your body tends towards being more acidic. High acid levels in the body (saliva, digestion, blood) can lead to inflammatory conditions, high free radical levels and other degenerative diseases. It is therefore important to observe your diet and lifestyle habits to ensure that you are able to maintain a healthy pH level and better health and vitality. The Western diet is typically acidic (fast foods, high fats, sugar, preservatives etc) and this may be an underlying reason we see a higher level of cardiovascular diseases, arthritis, osteoporosis, kidney stones, gall stones and cancer. A change in pH level may require improving health and lifestyle habits in the long term (3+ months), even though a spit pH test may change on a weekly basis. It is also possible to test your urine for its pH level, both are important ways to assess the bodies general health status. Urine tells us our history (metabolic) and saliva our most recent choices (reactive).
DIET TIPS TO REDUCE ACIDITY
- Reduce acid forming foods such as tea, coffee, alcohol, soft drinks, dairy, wheat, sugar, preserved, processed, refined and tinned foods
- Increase alkalising foods such as plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, water, lemon juice, vegetable juices, green barley powder, grains, nuts, seeds and green leafy vegetables
- Eat more foods which contain naturally occuring digestive enzymes such as pineapple, papaya, beetroots, green leafy vegetables or lemon juice
- Make a warm lemon and Manuka honey drink as these will not only improve digestion but Manuka honey contains anti-bacterial properties to improve mouth hygiene
- Drink herbal teas to help increase water consumption and to also improve digestion and reduce acid. Some tasty teas are Peppermint, Chamomile, Ginger, Burdock, Dandelion and Lemon juice
LIFESTYLE TIPS TO IMPROVE PH LEVELS
- Clear excessive wastes from the kidneys by ensuring that you are properly hydrated by drinking at least 2 litres of water each day
- Support liver health by avoiding alcohol, smoking, preservatives, additives, processed and refined foods and consider a detoxification regime
NATURAL REMEDIES TO IMPROVE PH LEVELS
- Spirulina, Wheat Grass and Chlorophyll nourishes and tones the kidneys and increases the amounts of waste removed via filtration, it is also a blood cleanser and alkaliser
- Herbs to improve the functioning of the kidneys are Borage, Chapparal, Cornsilk, Dandelion leaf, Goji Berry, Alisma, Poria, Ginkgo biloba, Green Tea, Lemon Grass (tea), Milk Thistle, Rehmannia, Parsley, Celery, Juniper, Roship (tea), Sarsparilla, Bearberry and Golden Seal
- Consider supplementation with alkaline minerals such as Magnesium, Calcium and Potassium
Share the post "pH Levels"