Sinusitis is inflammation of one or more of the sinuses, located behind the nasal cavity. This inflammation can cause pain, mucus production and congestion causing pressure headaches. This inflammation can be caused by a viral, bacterial or fungal infection or due to an allergic reaction.
Sinusitis is a symptom of an underlying condition that is causing this inflammation.
Traditional healers such as Naturopaths and Traditional Chinese medicine aim to find the cause of disharmony within the body. An ancient Chinese analogy states that symptoms are merely the leaves of disease and in order to achieve true harmony one must discover the roots of the illness.
One example is a weak lining of the digestive tract can allow larger than optimum particles of food to enter the blood system. These particles are considered by the body to be foreign and therefore create an allergic reaction which can manifest as sinusitis. It is interesting to note that the nasal and sinus cavities are actually the top terminus of the digestive tract.
SOME TRIGGERS THAT CAN CAUSE SINUSITIS:
- Respiratory infections
- Deviated septum
- Nasal polyps
- Excessive use of nasal decongestant sprays
CAUSES OF SINUSITIS/ ALLERGIES:
- Excessive consumption of simple sugars
- Cosmetic Ingredients such as Propylene Glycol (applied topically as a constituent of some Skin care products)
- Hypochlorhydria (insufficient production of Hydrochloric Acid)
- Intestinal Permeability (leaky gut, Crohnes Disease, Colitis, Coeliacs Disease)
- Chronic dehydration
- Food additives such as Sodium Metabisulfate
- Candida albicans proliferation may allow antigens to enter into the circulatory system
- Pharmaceutical Drugs Sulfonamides (a group of pharmaceutical Antibiotics)
DIET TIPS TO REDUCE SINUSITIS
- Increase water intake (at least 2 litres/ day). Include herbal teas also such as Marshmallow, Echinacea, Ginger, Lemon, Elecampagne, Licorice and Rosehip and Fenugreek
- Begin each day with a warm lemon juice drink as it cleansing to the digestion, nasal cavity and sinuses. Squeeze half a lemon in warm water, you may even like to add a teaspoon of Manuka Honey and grated ginger to this
- Increase sulphur rich foods in your diet such as onions and garlic as these help to break down congestion. Also increase Chilli, Horseradish and Turmeric as these are also anti-inflammatory in action and will help to break down congestion also
- Reduce acid forming foods such as dairy, wheat, sugar, alcohol, red meats, preserved and processed foods and deep fried foods
- Consume more garlic, ginger, onions, turmeric and chilli
- Increase alkalizing foods such as miso soup, vegetable juices, barley grass and barley soup, lemon juice, brown rice plenty of fruits and vegetables, fish, grains and sprouts
- Have a vegetable juice each day such as carrot, tomato, celery, ginger and beetroot
Share the post "Sinusitis"